Horizon Utilities Corporation was named Canada's first Sustainable Electricity Company by the Canadian Electricity Association and is a two-time (2011 and 2012) Sustainability Company of the Year. Horizon Utilities is one of the largest municipally owned electricity distribution companies in Ontario with $487 million in assets. A Top 10 Employer in Hamilton-Niagara for five years in a row, we provide electricity and related utility services to 242,000 residential and commercial customers in the cities of Hamilton and St. Catharines.
We’re owned by Horizon Holdings Inc., which is jointly owned by Hamilton Utilities Corporation and St. Catharines Hydro Inc. The latter two companies are respectively owned by the City of Hamilton and the City of St. Catharines. Our rates and performance are regulated by the Ontario Energy Board.
Lowest operating costs
Horizon Utilities delivers among the lowest operating costs and the lowest residential and commercial rates in Ontario. At the same time, we are generating among the strongest returns for our municipal shareholders. This has earned the company one of the highest credit ratings for an electric utility in Ontario by Standard & Poor’s — an “A stable” rating.
Horizon Utilities' costs per customer are $168 per year, compared to the Ontario local distribution company industry average of $253 per year. Through the economies of scale in amalgamation, and by maintaining costs and organizational efficiencies, Horizon Utilities has kept its operating costs close to 2005 merger levels - among the lowest in the sector.
Conservation and sustainability commitment
Our 425 employees are committed to providing unparalleled customer value, and helping to create a culture of energy conservation in the communities we serve, and across Ontario. Our collective goal is to support growth and provide safe, reliable and sustainable power for our residential and business customers in the communities we serve.
Learn more about our history — major historical achievements and memorable milestones since 1896.