The Horizon group of companies has been providing safe, reliable and economical electricity in Hamilton and Niagara for more than a century. Horizon Utilities Corporation, a licensed electricity distributor, and Horizon Energy Solutions Inc., an innovative energy solutions company, are both owned 100% by Horizon Holdings Inc.
Horizon Holdings Inc. is owned by Hamilton Utilities Corporation (78.9%) and St. Catharines Hydro Inc. (21.1%), which are owned respectively by the cities of Hamilton and St. Catharines.
- Highest credit rating of all Ontario utilities (Standard & Poor’s A+).
- Industry leader in Sustainable Development, where sustainability is based on sound economic, social and environmental practices, not just environmentalism.
- Canadian Electricity Association (CEA) Sustainability Company of the Year two years in a row, (2011-2012)
- Sustainable Electricity Company™- first to receive CEA designation in 2013.
- A 2015 Utility Pulse survey showed 92 per cent customer satisfaction, well above the 86 per cent provincial average.
- Horizon Holdings received national honour in 2014 and 2015 - ranked among Corporate Knight’s new Future 40 Responsible Corporate Leaders in Canada.
- Horizon Utilities invested $33 million in capital projects in 2015, including $15 million earmarked for proactive system renewal efforts.
- First and only utility in Ontario to produce a sustainability-based annual report and make a Global Reporting Initiative™ filing.
- The fifth largest electricity distribution company in Ontario with more than 242,000 customers, 425 dedicated and highly skilled employees and 3,400 kilometres of power lines.
- Voted Top Ten Hamilton-Niagara Employer of the Year, five years in a row, 2012-2016
- Celebrated the tenth anniversary in 2015 of the successful merger of St. Catharines and Hamilton’s utilities.
- Former Ontario Energy Association “Company of the Year.”
- More than $100 million generated annually in direct local economic value.
- Lowest operating costs of any municipally owned electricity distributor in the Golden Horseshoe area.
- Recognized by the Infrastructure Health and Safety Association for maintaining an excellent health and safety record. Achieved one million hours of work with no lost-time incidents in 2009 and 2011 and 811,000 hours in 2014.
- Recognized by Hamilton Healthy Living for creating a healthy work environment.
- Provide electrical safety sessions for 11,500 elementary school children every year.
Horizon Utilities attained 107per cent of its Ontario Energy Board (OEB)
mandated customer energy consumption reduction target and 81 per cent of its
customer energy demand reduction target.
Met the minimum 80 per cent threshold of both energy consumption and
energy demand targets set by the Ontario Energy Board.
Between 2011 and 2014, energy conservation efforts have saved the equivalent of enough energy to power 28,406 homes for one year and divert 67,417 tonnes of CO2 Emissions annually. The impact of avoiding theses emissions is equivalent to removing 19, 262 mid-sized cars off of the road for one year.
- Our fleet is now 11 per cent electric or hybrid and we also employ a Corporate Idling Policy to reduce emission levels of other transport and work equipment.
- Have picked up and recycled more than 14,000 inefficient appliances.
- More than 12,000 customers have signed up for the peaksaver® PLUS program.
- Have distributed in excess of 135,000 compact fluorescent light bulbs, 28,000 energy-efficient night-lights and 14,000 low-flow showerheads to customers at community events.