To report an outage, call:
- Hamilton: 905-522-6611
- St. Catharines 905-684-8111
Provide us with the following information:
- Your name, address and telephone number
- What is the nature of the problem?
- Where is the problem located?
- How long have you been without power?
Check your service stack:
Customers should check the "stack" where the electric service connects to the house and contact a licensed electrician if it is damaged. A licensed contractor can be located by visiting the websites of your local contractors association at:
How to check your service stack
Power outage checklist:
- Remember, leave one light on to know when the power has been restored
- Ensure all major appliances are turned off
- Never use a barbecue indoors. Carbon monoxide emissions can cause asphyxiation
- Turn off water to the clothes washer and dishwasher
- A small bicycle pump can supply air to the fish tank
- Keep an emergency kit with bottled water, flashlight and batteries, candles, holders and matches, battery-powered radio and alarm clock
- Do not open the refrigerator or freezer door while the power is off. Most foods will stay frozen for at least 12 hours, refrigerated for 16.
- If you will be away from home for more than three days during an extended winter power outage, turn your water supply off at the main shut-off valve to prevent pipes from freezing.
If you use a candle, here are some safety tips:
- Use well ventilated holders that are sturdy and will not tip over
- Keep burning candles away from materials that can catch fire (like curtains, decorations and clothing)
- Keep burning candles out of reach of children and pets
- Do not leave candles burning unattended
- Extinguish all candles before you go to sleep
- Battery operated candles are very popular, try and keep one on hand
When power is restored:
- Check that the freezer and refrigerator are working and if any food needs immediate attention
- Dairy products should be discarded after four to six hours.
- Reset clocks, automatic timers and alarms
- Plug in only the most essential appliances. If you wait 10 to 15 minutes before reconnecting, the system has time to stabilize
- Return all emergency items to their usual place